Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wax or polish?

stoutman wrote:
But if I had to change the color, say to match an
existing piece, I'd use dye instead of stain.

Huh? Isn't a dye a type of stain?

No, but some people have coined the term 'dye stain' to
confuse matters.

Did you mean to say "dye instead of
pigment"?

That would also be accurate but there are folks who don't know
that stains use pigments, which is what distinguishes them
from dyes.

Then there is toning, and also whatever you call treatment that
colors wood by virtue of a chemical reaction with chemicals
(typically tannins) that are naturally found in wood. E.g.
ther is an umbrella term for fuming with ammonia, using
lye, potassium dichromate, nitric acid, potassium permaganate,
or whatever.

--

FF