Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

Default How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v?

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:12:51 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

The Switch (A regular switch that is) is ok if you flip it one way and
the motor starts and if you flip it the other way the motor stops.

False. The switch is ok if that occurs, *and* the switch is rated for both
the
voltage and the amperage that it's switching. Better still if the switch
disconnects all of the hot conductors going to the motor.

Well, that's false also. A switch for a motor has to be rated for the hp of
the motor. You can be okay on voltage and amperage and still fry the
switch.

Umm, can you explain that to me? You see, my understanding is that
voltage is expressed as E. I am also given to understand that amperage
is expressed as I. I heard once that P (power in watts) is expressed
as volts times amps, or P=IE. Now here is where it starts to get
tricky for the uninformed. Power is also expressed as W (for watts)
and that there are roughly 746 watts per HP (given the givens and
assuming the assumptions). So, the long and the short of it, as I see
it, is that there is a direct relationship between amps, volts, and
hp.

What does that mean for you? Well, if you will simply explain how you
can be okay on voltage and amperage and still have a problem with the
hp of the motor, I'll take back everything I've ever said about your
electrical incompetency. Since CW has summed it up much more
succinctly than I (that you don't have a clue), you'll be unable to
and I won't have to eat a single word.

Bottom line: don't give electrical advice. You are so far out of your
element you are dangerous.

It happened on my used table saw; the switch fused closed.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.