Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS

Default Village idiot

wrote in message
In article ,
BobS wrote:
...snipped...
Scott,

Obviously for some, my initial response did not show up directly under the
spam post and they saw it possibly as a stand-alone post. My news reader
shows it directly under the spam post. No mistaking who it was aimed at.

Sure seemed to get a lot of people riled up over a spam post someone else
made. Must be a slow day out there.

Bob S.

The specs for propagation of usenet news do not guarantee that the
order of messages received will be the same on different servers. In
fact a reading of RFC1036 implies the opposite to be much more likely.
In addition different people will use different news readers to sort
messages in different orders. So what seems to to be "no mistaking"
for one person will very likely be ust confusing to another person.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Larry,

Your reference to RFC1036 is correct but... and I'll quote....

"This document defines the standard format for the interchange of
network News messages among USENET hosts. It updates and replaces
RFC-850, reflecting version B2.11 of the News program. This memo is
distributed as an RFC to make this information easily accessible to
the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited."

Please note that it states "It does not specify an Internet standard." also
and therefore is ambiguous since the RFC starts out with "Standard for
Interchange of USENET Messages" - very confusing but your point is well
taken. Simply said, not all newsreaders and servers will stack and rack the
threads of a message in the same manner. I will never again rename a
specific thread and make a post.....;-)

Bob S.