Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default upvc frame welds problem?

On 28 Apr 2006 01:39:11 -0700, wrote:

Just had upvc windows fitted... fitters are finsihed and left...
looking at various frames, there were what I thought was small dots of
dirt in some of the corner welds, but when I couldn't wipe then off I
got suspicious... got out a magnify glass and they seem to be actually
small holes in the weld!... very thin and about 1-2mm long

for some reason, as far as I can see, they are restricted to the welds
of the window opening lights rather than those the fixed frame itself,
though I haven't inspected everything and it hard to see some of the
welds on the outside.

So far I found them in about 4 window lights.... on some its just one
or 2 minute holes ... on others there are several holes along the
centre line of the weld.

How concerned should I be?

I haven't signed anything to say I'm happy with the job... and haven't
paid the full amount yet... I'll obviously get the company back...
(they're a reputable, small local company) but would like to know if
these things are usual / acceptable beforehand...

Also ... anyone got a quick checklist of things I should inspect
beforehand so that I can point out anything else when they come back.

thanks
AJ

Welds..???

Is that part of the fitting process or upvc windows ( I'm getting one fitted
soon)..How do they do this /what do they use .?

Stuart