Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cedar shingle siding - painting tips?

I was mainly leaning toward paint in order to cover up cosmetic blemishes on the siding (as most of you have already guessed). From what I
understand the siding was installed in the early 90's, and has never been re-stained since then, so there is a decent amount of greying on
all sides, most promimently in the areas that have received the most sunlight.

At this point I am leaning toward a solid color stain rather than paint - the discoloration is widespread enough that it seems like it would
be a massive undertaking to attempt to brighten the wood. Are there any significant advantages/disadvantages to semi-transparent vs. solid
color stains on cedar siding? I realize solid color stain has more of a chance to peel, but is this something I would have to address on a
frequent basis such as every 3-4 years? If so I might be inclined to try and find a shade of semi-transparent stain that would blend somewhat
uniformly with the unevenly weathered siding.

Also, I want to thank everyone for their advice thus far!

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 7