Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default misaligned concrete expansion joints

On 27 Apr 2006 11:42:16 -0700, "mfreak" wrote:

I am having a driveway poured, and the expansion joints don't line up.
The joint lines up with the garage floor joint on the top, then it jogs

a few inches to the right towards the street. Is there any reason you
wouldn't match the lines? Is that normal? I don't remember ever
seeing this before.

http://www.mpw.net/doug/dw.jpg

Did you try asking the guys what did it?

Looks to me like they tried to get at least
the bottom end divided evenly, with an extra
triangle-bit at the top.

You can't see the top end, but if it's a different
size, shape, or not aligned with the bottom,
that would explain it.

I suspect that the people doing the pour don't
habitually think of the crack-control joints
as decorative elements, so it didn't occur to them
to line them up, they just put them in the most
logical place for each slab individually.