Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

Default Anyone care to comment on battery-powered lawn mowers?

Mys Terry wrote:
"Lena" wrote:
Walt wrote:
buy Factory Refurbished at a B and D store.

Exactly what I did two years ago, ...I'm wondering if a pair of motorcycle
batteries of the approximately same dimensions would work ($20 to $30
each) rather than the $125 that others quoted for replacement.

Lena

Motorcycle batteries would not last very long at all with that sort of use. You
need deep cycle batteries.

Took your advice and searched high and low for deep cycle, sealed,
rechargeable lead acid batteries. Nothing online, but found a pair
here in Montgomery County, MD, at Battery Warehouse off Gude Drive (395
E Gude Drive). Exactly the same size, made by Toyo, a Chinese Company,
which replaced the Panasonics, also made in China. $90 for the pair,
with tax; not as bad as I imagined. Installed the batteries, had
enough charge on them to run the mower and verify everything was hooked
up properly, but I put them on the charger and will test them out at
the next mowing.

I read up on the difference between starting batteries and deep cycle
batteries, where starting batteries have mesh-like plates designed to
deliver high current for a short time. These mesh plates would fail if
the battery is continually fully discharged. The deep cycle batteries
have solid plates, provide lower current initially, but over a long
period. They can tolerate full discharge/charge cycles and will last
longer in a lawnmower.

Lena