Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plastic Eyeglass repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
I know the chances of a real fix are slim, but my girlfriend broke her
backup pair of glasses. The are made of plastic and are not all that large.
I would like to at least try fixing them.

I have successfully used epoxy on some plastics (automotive tail lights)
and I had thought of the "Super Glue" products, however I don't know how
successful they are with plastics, and I know that most have been weakened
due to medical concerns. The only good thing is there does not appear to be
any deformation of the plastic. It was a very clean break and the parts fit
closely together.

Does anyone what to suggest what kind of product would work with the
type of plastic used in eyeglasses?

I never have good luck with stuff like that... since it's a clean brak,
either a thinner grade of superglue that would wick into the break (if
you can't get it at regular stores, try a plastic model type hobby
shop, or on the web, there are like 4 grades of superglue, The thinner
they are, the faster they set) or similarly, a solvent type glue (also
a hobby shop item) but either way, your luck will be much improved by
gluing a splint along the thing across the break; even better along
each side.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit