Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Wire cable in deck railing

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:07:11 -0400, mm
wrote:

On 26 Apr 2006 09:02:17 -0700, "riverhome"
wrote:

Building deck. Don't want to obstruct river view. Any thoughts on
stainless steel wire cables instead of balustrades and/or where to buy?

I don't blame you. I only have a little stream but I was happy when
the highest rail, a 2x4, rotted away.

How about a horizontal railing in front of a 4 to 6 inch high rail.
Or a net?

So if you go beyond the deck, the net will catch you. I don't know
what angles are involved but it could be at the same level as your
deck, if you don't have to look down to see the river, or a foot or
two below the deck.

Build three steps down, a walkway along the outer edge,
and THEN the railing. That puts the upper edge of the rail
at about 16" above the upper deck.