Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

Default Plastic Eyeglass repair - fudging

dadiOH wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
I know the chances of a real fix are slim, but my girlfriend
broke her backup pair of glasses. The are made of plastic and are
not all that large. I would like to at least try fixing them.

I have successfully used epoxy on some plastics (automotive tail
lights) and I had thought of the "Super Glue" products, however I
don't know how successful they are with plastics, and I know that
most have been weakened due to medical concerns. The only good thing
is there does not appear to be any deformation of the plastic. It
was a very clean break and the parts fit closely together.

Does anyone what to suggest what kind of product would work with
the type of plastic used in eyeglasses?

I think your best bet would be epoxy (a quick setting one).
Cyanoacrylate *could* work but it generally softens plastics and it is
hard to keep pieces together closely until it grabs. Epoxy won't
soften it but you'll still have the problem of keeping the pieces
aligned until it sets. Once it sets, don't disturb for at least 12
hours. Once hard, any squeeze out can be sanded off and the area
polished.

I should also say that epoxy won't stick at all to some types of
plastics...don't know all it won't bond but polyethelene is one (I often
use that as a surface protector), the plastic that CoolWhip comes in is
another (I use those containers to mix epoxy and the dried epoxy just
pops out). OTOH, it sticks well to polycarbonate...got a bit on one of
my lenses. Best try a dab in some inconspicuous place and see if it
will pop off after drying.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...