Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Folkert Rienstra

Default Maxtor disk failed. Controller replacement?

"Jaz" wrote in message
A have a Maxtor 20GB 2B020H1 which is doing the spin-up then spin-
down thing. The controller says ATHENA ATA2-PLUS, FBII 301430100.

I found this site http://www.hddtech.co.uk/MaxtorFailureSymptoms.htm
and my symptoms match precisely. So I bought a working 2B020H1 used.

I swapped the contoller but the drive isn't recognized at POST. I
swapped the controller back to the spare-parts drive and that one
works fine. Worth noting is that with the spare controller, the
original drive no longer spins down after spin up.

Then I noticed that the spare controller part number is slightly
different. The new one reads

"ATHEN II/POKER".

Apt name. Describes the process of recovery very neatly.

What's interesting is why this controller would not be detected by
the BIOS when attached to the old platter assembly. I verified
that the geometry and the Maxtor part numbers are both the same.

Anyway, aside from trying to find another spare controller that
matches exactly, and before I resort to an $800+ professional
recovery, is there anything else I should try?

Thanks.
Jaz
(Please excuse the 'burp' when replying (b))