Jim Woodward

Default Machining Plastic

Actually, Geoff, it used to be that good turnbuckles were made with
stainless screws and bronze bodies (or vice versa). The reason is that
stainless galls badly against itself (as many of us know, although we may
not know the word for it other than, "!#$%&*?!" .) Stainless against bronze
runs freely and happily and is a much better quality device. Unfortunately,
they cost more and looked strange, and are now, I think, gone from the
market.

Galvanic doesn't become a real issue unless the two pieces are immersed.
Above deck, there may be a little salt around, but it mostly gets washed off
by the rain, I suspect.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
4.17...
This is going on a boat in salt water. Steel would rust and there would
be a big glavanic corrision problem at the stainless/bronze interface.

-- Geoff

"Carl Hoffmeyer" wrote in
:

Getting back to METALWORKING ...

Is there a *reason* you're not making this out of bronze or steel?
Just because there was a plastic piece there *before* doesn't
necessarily mean you gotta have one now.

It seems that about half of you wear concerns and UV deterioration
problems would go away with a good bronze or steel sleeve bearing.
(Might help solve the vibration issue too.)

My two cents.
- Carl

"Geoffrey W. Schultz" wrote in message
7.77...
I have a KISS wind generator wind generator that develops vibration
at certain wind speeds. The problem is that there's a PVC fitting
that goes over a 2" stainless schedule 40 support pipe that is loose
fitting. I

want
to machine one with a sleeve bearing on a lathe and make it out of

plastic.
However, I really don't have any experience machining plastic, I've
been looking at www.mscdirect.com under Raw Materials/Plastic
Material/Rods for 3" material. To keep costs under control I'm
looking at the following:

Nylon
Acetal
UHMW
LDPE
HDPE

Comments on the machining qualities, UV resistance, and overall
strength

of
these would be greatly appreciated.

-- Geoff