Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve W

Default How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v?

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
Tex wrote:

Take a look at some of the new contactors being used to switch air
conditioning compressors on/off. Some of the new ones only have ONE
contact point, yet they switch 240 VAC on/off all the time. Personally,
I don't like it but it works because current only flows when the two legs
form a circuit.

Yes, but it still leaves one of the wires at 120V with respect to ground.

With a typical saw setup you could get a nasty shock if you turn off the
machine with a single pole switch, then start working on the motor.

Of course, for safety I'd unplug the machine anyway before working on it,
but still....

Chris

Thanks for the help.

I took the switch apart and inside it says it is rated for 250v @ 20a. Then
I checked both poles with an ohm meter and both open when the switch is off.
So, it looks like the saw has a DPST 250v switch if I understand correctly.
It would have been nice if they labeled the outside or manual, but it looks
like I am good to go so I am happy.

-Steve