Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Re-drilling trailer hubs?

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:51:15 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:03:07 GMT, lid (Terry Keeley)
wrote:

Great info guys, that's why I like asking things here, even if

they're
only remotely metal related

Never thoought to check the back of the hubs to see what's there and
you're absolutely right, there are bosses at the six bolt locations
so re-drilling is not a viable option.

Found these adaptors, seems a little pricy for a hunk of 1" think
6061 with a few holes and 5 studs:

http://www.adaptitusa.com/index.asp?...TS&Category=10

Doesn't look like there's any shoulder to match the wheel to help
locate it, and what about using aluminum for this part, doesn't seem
the strongest to me.

How about making an adator from some sort of steel with a shoulder to
locate the new wheels? What would be a good material? That way I'd
keep the standard hubs and bearings...

Looks like the offset will work OK.

My guess is that these adapters wouldn't be sold if they were likely
to break. But hey, I could be wrong. There are certainly plenty of
people who sell bad stuff and get away with it. But let's talk about
your specifics. 6061-T6 has a yeild strength of 40,000 psi and an
ultimate tensile strength of 45,000 psi. 1018 hot rolled mild steel
has a yeild strength of 31,900 and an ultimate tensile strength of
58,000 psi. Cast steel will be similar to 1018. So I'm thinking that
you can get by with 1 inch thick 6061-T6. As to the locating of the
wheel and adapter look at a wheel. All that I'm familiar with use the
lug nut or bolt as the locating device. Your wheel will have a raised
portion around each hole and the entrance will be tapered. Your lug
nuts or bolts will have a matching taper. This is what locates the
wheel.
ERS

ONLY a few vehicles use the studs to locate the rim. 99% use the center
hub since it also supports the load. That is what it is there for. Using
wheel studs to locate and support the load is a real good way to get
injured.

I would also ask the OP what he intends to use the trailer for? If you
intend to load it will those rims handle that load? I would bet they
won't. Check those load ratings before you do ANYTHING else.

Greetings Steve,
I went out and looked at my 92 Toyota truck, 92 Dodge Colt, 85
trailer, 77 Mail Jeep, and 52 M38 Jeep. The 92 Toyota uses a bored
wheel/turned hub for location. The Colt uses the same in front but the
rears rely on the lugnuts. The trailer uses lugnuts as do both of the
jeeps. I'm thinking that since the 92 4WD truck uses the turned hub,
which is a better way, that probably all newer vehicles do this. Odd
that the Colt uses both methods. I bought the Colt new so i know the
wheels are stock. My advice to Terry would be to make the adapters
with locating hubs/bores if possible. Thanks Steve.
ERS