Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

Default Lead fittings

On 27 Apr 2006 05:18:24 -0700, "Davao"
wrote:

Hi all.
I have a lead (Pb) water supply to an outside toilet in the back yard.
I am going to remove the toilet and then to put a tap on the
old lead supply pipe.
My question is, can I use a compression adapter fitting to convert to
copper?
Also, I've seen B.E.S. have lead to copper connectors but they specify
'lead poundage'
e.g.
Lead to Copper
Part No. Description Unit Price Qty
10270 3/8" x 5 lb lead to 15 mm compression £2.05

10271 1/2" x 6 lb lead to 15 mm compression £2.76

10272 1/2" x 7 lb lead to 15 mm compression £2.60

10273 3/4" x 9 lb lead to 22 mm compression £4.73
The outer diameter of my lead pipe is about 3/4" but
how can I tell which poundage my lead pipework is?

My house is a mid terrace built around 1910.

Thanks for your advice.

Arthur

All you have to do is solder a piece of 15mm copper pipe into the end
of the lead pipe. It's very simple to do and permanent.

The proper technique would be to flair the lead pipe with a thing like
a hardwood cone, but anything will do, even the handle of a tool.
You only need to flair it about 1.5 centimetres in and then clean the
inside of the pipe with wire wool. Clean the copper with wire wool as
usual and then insert the copper into the lead. Heat the copper and
solder it in to make a nice snug fit.

If you look at your gas meter you should find an example there.