Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v?

"Steve W" wrote in message
m...
I have a Delta hybrid TS (36-715) and just wired it for 240v. Now the
thing starts up so fast it makes me worry about belt wear.

Anyway, in the manual it says to make sure I have a 240v rated switch.
The switch has no rating marked on it so how can I find out if it is ok?

A 240v switch opens both wires rather than just one. All my tools say if it
is 240v in the manual; if yours warns you to be sure you have a 240v switch,
you probably don't.
If it doesn't say on the switch, you can tell by measuring (after the
switch, with the switch on off) the voltage from each wire to ground. If
either is 120v, then it is a 120v switch.
That explains why you need a 240v switch. While the tool works fine either
way; a 120v switch leaves wire energized that you would expect to be dead.