Posted to alt.home.repair
Just Bob

Default Eliminating Must odor from dresser

BobK207 wrote:
Just Bob wrote:
I have been plagued by musty odor and have tried every idea I can
come up with but nothing seems to work. Before I have a bond fire in
the back yard are there any suggestions? I have tried Cedar chips
and perfumes but nothing is effective. I have used bleach and
cleaning agents and am now considering an application of wood stain
or varnish but am afraid that other odors will remain. I would also
have to disassemble to get to the spots that are hidden. Months of
none use and airing have also been a waste of time. I have moved
completely out of that old rotting building now and hope there is
still a chance for the furniture. I hope someone has a proven method
as I have many of the disproved ones.

TIA

Bob

I would suggest a sanding sealer like DuraSeal, easy to apply w/ a
rag. I did about 3 coats

I did this with a new piece of furniture that the drawer bottoms were
bare / slightly rough & would catch on clothing.

Strange that the musty odor has remianed after all the airing /
bleach, etc

have you tried sun exposre for a few hours? drawers out?

Just try a single drawer to see if it works

Don't give up, I sure there is a way to get rid of the odor. (hold
that fire)

cheers

Bob

Actually I was just thinking of the sun exposure today. I have not yet tried
this as I was afraid to dry it out to much. I am thinking there has to be
some mold or whatever remaining in the cracks and ends that would not get
the treatment unless soaked. I find that the only way to tell if it really
works is to see how things are after a few months which is always the way so
far.

Thanks for the tip on Duraseal. I have nothing to lose.

Bob