Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Default Eliminating Must odor from dresser

Just Bob wrote:
I have been plagued by musty odor and have tried every idea I can come up
with but nothing seems to work. Before I have a bond fire in the back yard
are there any suggestions? I have tried Cedar chips and perfumes but nothing
is effective. I have used bleach and cleaning agents and am now considering
an application of wood stain or varnish but am afraid that other odors will
remain. I would also have to disassemble to get to the spots that are
hidden. Months of none use and airing have also been a waste of time. I have
moved completely out of that old rotting building now and hope there is
still a chance for the furniture. I hope someone has a proven method as I
have many of the disproved ones.

TIA

Bob

I would suggest a sanding sealer like DuraSeal, easy to apply w/ a rag.
I did about 3 coats

I did this with a new piece of furniture that the drawer bottoms were
bare / slightly rough & would catch on clothing.

Strange that the musty odor has remianed after all the airing / bleach,
etc

have you tried sun exposre for a few hours? drawers out?

Just try a single drawer to see if it works

Don't give up, I sure there is a way to get rid of the odor. (hold
that fire)

cheers

Bob