Posted to rec.antiques,rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Default Wax or polish?

Dan-the-K wrote:

I've got about a dozen pieces lined up for the treatment.**In*general,
I want to sandpaper, stain, topcoat, and then wax or polish.**To*avoid
incompatibility, I'll use Minwax products.**That*means*Wood*Finish*for
the stain, polyurethane for the topcoat, and wax for the postfinish.
Sandpaper/steel wool when appropriate

Does this sound right?

First of all, I'd use wood that was the color I wanted and put a clear
finish on it. But if I had to change the color, say to match an
existing piece, I'd use dye instead of stain.

I did use poly once for the top of an aquarium stand, but usually I use
shellac or just a clear oil finish plus wax. Spar varnish for outdoor
pieces.

--
It's turtles, all the way down