Posted to rec.antiques,rec.woodworking
Chris Bacon

Default Wax or polish?

Joe wrote:
"Dan-the-K" wrote:
I've got about a dozen pieces lined up for the treatment. In general,
I want to sandpaper, stain, topcoat, and then wax or polish. To avoid
incompatibility, I'll use Minwax products. That means Wood Finish for
the stain, polyurethane for the topcoat, and wax for the postfinish.
Sandpaper/steel wool when appropriate

I am not a finishing guy at all but I built a clock as a favor a few
months back. After posting some messages here I ended up using Poly
and the wax.

I'm guessing that you're both posting from r.w. What benefit
does polyeurghethane have over (say) shellac for a lasting
finish? What are DtK's "pieces"? "Pieces" often benefit from
"wax treatment", but I guess that's not what you had in mind.