Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Bud

Default Friggin hair....

Norman D. Crow wrote:
"Fingersintact" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am in the process of finishing a birdseye maple tabletop. I wiped on
the first several coats of poly...the last coat was brushed on with a
sponge. There are 4 or 5 little hairs caught in the finish. You can
only see them from certain angles.....but they look gigantic to me. I
am a real rookie at finishing, and am looking for suggestions on how to
remove them without making it worse...sanding?....exacto blade?

Any help would be appreciated!

Okay, some of you old time wRECkers wake up! I remember someone posting a
long time ago about a miniature plane using razor blades made specifically
for planing off runs in paint. It was actually from an automobile finishing
specialty catalog. Thought I had it saved, but can't locate it.

I don't know if I posted it or not, but that's how I remove runs. It's
not really a plane, however, more like a scraper:

Take a straight blade, hold it on a 45 degree or so angle to some fine
sandpaper, like 1500. Run it across the paper, pulling the away from
the blade, and on the opposite side of where the paper is rubbing, a
little curl will develop.

To remove the run, hold the curl against the run and lightly pull the
blade, again, away from the sharp edge. The curl will scrape the run
until it's on the same plane as the rest of the work.

The finish MUST be hard to do this.