Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred

Default Low Voltage Lighting transformer problem

In article . com,
writes

fred wrote:

So, replacing the transformers with 35kHz models and splitting the load
into 2 T/E (or similar) feeds should reduce the inductive drop to 0.75V. That
drop is at 90deg phase and lossless so the lamps should actually close to
12V.

This may be horribly simplistic, but as these are 12V Halogens, would a
possible approach simply be to rectify the current, so instead of
125kHz AC, it becomes DC? Or have I missed the point somewhere?

There's certainly some scope for filtering to smooth out the high frequency
components but adding components could upset the stability of the
switching transformer. If I had the measurement gear to check the results
I'd certainly have a play but I don't at the mo.

Straight rectification would still leave you with choppy dc. Adding
smoothing would even out the bumps but now we're in the area of risking
destabilising the switcher, they are pretty robust but I couldn't find a spec
for how much (say) capacitance they could stand on the output.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla