Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Greatest markup ever?

"Joe Smith" wrote in message
On 24 Apr 2006, Mary wrote:

"Madge O'Reene" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary Fisher:
I saw the same sort of thing in a shop in Lincoln some time ago.
Unbelievable!

Mary

Why is it unbelievable?

What do you do for a living? Are the the LOWEST PAID person doing
your job? In your company? In your town? In your country? In the
world? Unbelievable!

You're making assumptions.

Here's a simple idea - if you think a shop is charging too much,
don't buy from them.

I didn't. I SAW it.

You seem to be suggesting that there is never suc a thing as over
priced, or gouging, or unwarranted markup.

A typical retail markup is in the order of 50%. Some items more and
some items less. Even if we allow 100 to 300% markup for fancy items
(ie those which are time limited by fashionable trends) then markups
of thousands of percent are amazing and, dare I say it, almost
"unebelievable".

A true market would reduce such a profit differential but clearly
there is either a lack of consumer knowledge if they're prepared to
pay such ridiculuous prices or very limited consumer choice of
outlets and prices.

Yup, the poster is right. It's unbelievable. Such venality.

Yes.