Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Safety first

Nick wrote:
When welding the petrol tank underneath your vehicle, make sure you put
a chock under a wheel so it doesn't turn
http://tinypic.com/whli80.jpg

Amazing. Where does the pic come from?

Actually, if I'd had a camera with me this afternoon I could have
provided a photo to rival this one.

I was watching this guy a few doors up, who was trying to climb onto the
roof for some reason. All he had was an ordinary extension ladder. He
stood the extending half of the ladder on top of a single-story flat
roof, from where it *just* reached the gutter (plastic, natch) at
second-story level. He climbs up carrying the bottom half of the
ladder, which he's evidentlly going to try using as a roofing ladder,
but as is - he just lays it down on the tiles with the two little
brackets which normally retain the ladder extension hanging over the
apex of the roof, like a roofing ladder but with just 1" prongs...

Of course, the bottom end of this ladder was about 4'-5' from the bottom
of the roof, and he couldn't reach it. So he removes a couple of tiles
above the guttering, to create a foothold he could stand on, in order to
bridge the gap between the gutter and his "roofing ladder".

At this point - with the bloke standing with one foot on the very top
rung of his access ladder and the other on the roof tiles, I had to
leave so I can't report on the outcome. But hopefully I won't need to
submit the story to www.darwinawards.com.

David