Posted to alt.home.repair
Charlie Bress

Default Putting tile over formica counter tops

Sam, I had done this many years ago. My counter was L shaped and there was a
window above it to contend with.
In our case as yours there was no damage, just for looks.
My advice is simple. Go to a real tile company. Forget about the big box
stores or the guys who sell carpeting and etc.
Take a reasonable good sketch of your layout with dimensions. Tell the
folks at the tile shop what you want to do.
They will fix you up with the right mastic and all the odd pieces that you
never thought about. Did you know there is a tile made to fit an inside
corner and mate with the backsplash. I didn't know about it before I
started. But when you get that piece in position it is an "gee whiz" moment.
I used bull nose and tile to finish the edge. When I finally sold that house
nobody had a poor opinion of the tile job. It looked good and professional.

Charlie

"Sam Alexander" -ldw-this wrote in
message . ..
Hello all,

Me and my wife would like to remodel our kitchen some day, but it's like 5
years off In the mean time, we want to do whatever can (on a budget of
course) to update our kitchen. It has green formica counter tops and
backsplash, and I was wondering if it would be possible to put tile over
this.

In visiting a friend's new home this weekend I noticed her counter and
backsplash were tile, but on the front it had a piece of wood trip
covering
the edge of the counter. If I installed tile on the counter and did the
same, it would totally cover the formica.

Anyone done this or seen this done before? I know the counters will need
to be sanded and washed real good for anything to stick, but anything I
need to put down before? Maybe a primer or something? I've worked with
tile before, but never on counters.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas...

Sam

---
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)com
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex01
"Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." -- Cliff Stoll

--- Synchronet 3.13b-Linux NewsLink 1.84
--[SideBand BBS - telnet://sidebandbbs.com]--