Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin

Default How does an electric meter work?

Thanks for answering (partially) my question. This thread is
interesting -- it seems to be filled with more BS and hype than the
original link even was.

I don't entirely understand your answer, though. I wasn't aware that
there was a "neutral on the utility's side of the meter". And if there
were, and I had a perfectly balanced load, then the neutral would have
no current, right? Which means... no losses, and hence no cost?
Obviously wrong... can you explain a little more?

And moreover, there was a lot of BS in this thread about balancing the
panel to begin with. To say that 240V devices are on both legs is
irrelevant to the question of whether balancing a panel makes economic
sense for the homeowner. Does a homeowner with a horribly imbalanced
panel get charged more than the same homeowner if they just rearranged
the breakers on the panel?

-Kevin