Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Mulks

Default painting PT wood

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, i just completed a small retaing wall constructed of pressure
treated wood and now my wife decided the greenish color is not what she
wants so can this type of wood be painted? is there a type of paint for
this purpose?
thanks, cj

I paint a lot of pressure treated wood. The "secret" is to remove
the layer of crud deposited on the surface by the pressure treatment
process. I use a hand planer (DeWalt 680K, in my case) to take off
about 1/32nd of an inch or so. I set the planer for 1/64th, then
take 2 or 3 passes - it's pretty obvious when I've taken enough off.
A belt sander with 50 grit paper will get the job done, too, but
nowhere near as fast as the planer. (I hope it's a REALLY small
retaining wall - and don't use a planer near those nail heads!

Another problem - the green stuff (copper azole) is going to bleed
through just about any paint you use. (at least it will with latex
based paints, not sure about oil-based) It won't be a problem with
dark green or blue paint but will be very obvious with light colors.

Good luck,
Charlie Mulks