Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Bob

Default Is my LT44 transformer suitable for audio (de)coupling?

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
On 25 Apr 2006, Dave Plowman wrote:

600- 600 ohm transformers are used on balanced pro equipment. Or
more likely once were in valve days. Most balanced audio these days
is low impedance out high in - same as domestic.

Ground isolating transformers these days will be usually 10k in and
out.

assuming it's a couple of items operating at ' standard ' line
levels - such as a CD player, or tuner, or cassette deck, feeding into the
corresponding input of an amplifier, or the aux in, then the likely
impedance both ends will be around 47k. Obviously, 600 ohms is not a
terribly good match to 47k,

As others have pointed out audio distribution in modern sound systems
is not matched for maximum power transfer.

I have used 600 ohm 1 : 1 line matching transformers on several occasions,
to do what you are trying to accomplish, and have never had any real
problems with the finished audio.

A 1:1 transformer is not doing matching. They just help with common
mode noise and ground loops.

Bob