Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leonard Caillouet

Default Discharging Capacitors Prior to ESR Meter Probing

I just use about a 20w 1K ceramic power resistor from a scrap unit with some
leads soldered to it. Probably a little higher value than needed for audio
work and a little lower than optimal for TV HV, but it is a good compromise
that works fine for everything so far.

One thing that I like about the Atlas and Sencore meters over the DSE (I
have them all) is that you don't have to worry about it. Actually, I use
the Atlas more than anything in the field and for protable applications. I
like the size and the fact that you can get cap value readings. I still
like to discharge the large PS caps and CRTs just for safety, but for the
lower capacity and lower voltages I just let the meters designed to do so
discharge them. You can get a dischage update for the DSE, IIRC.

Leonard

wrote in message
oups.com...
I got the Dick Smith device and am ready to tackle jobs. What
techniques/hardware are being used to make sure that capacitors are
properly discharged? I will be working mostly on older stereo
equipment. My understanding is that the non-power supply caps will
discharge after the equipment is turned off. For a typical cap to be
found in this application, what would be a good way to survey the board
and discharge the caps? What size and type resistor? I have a bunch
of audio grade sandcast types from partsexpress, would these be good
enough? Should I even bother or are these caps inoffensive?

The power supply caps, which I am guessing are identified by size and
proximity to the power source are a different animal. What should be
done about these?