Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andreas Tekman

Default Tektronix 485: How to get to vertical attenuator?

Looks like the pot needs to be replaced or at least to be re-lubed.
Since t will be difficult to get a irect replacement, try this: get teh
pot out, drill a very small hole in the pot housing and apply 1 -3
drops of contact cleaner/lube "Kontakt60" into the housing. Turn the
the pots shaft for a couple of times. Repaeat in necessary. Let dry at
least for half an hour .

I used this procedere a dozen times with success, the 485s I repaired
still work smoothly.

The pwr supply is really difficult, as Jim already mentioned. Always a
challenge to repair. Great job for a rainy weekend

The 2465 is a class of its own. Superb scope, always a good invest to
do.
The 422 is nice too, but the 454A is what I would collect: A little bit
difficult to repair, but rock-solid made.

Well, just a collectors view...

hth,
Andreas