Posted to rec.woodworking
Enoch Root

Default Advantages of infill planes?

wilbur wrote:
Many people have mentioned weight as being an advantage for an infill
plane. As best I can tell, rosewood species (this seems to be a common
wood for infill planes) have a specific gravity of somewhere between 0.8
and 1.2. Cast iron has a specific gravity in the 7-8 range, which would
make it much denser than rosewood.

So does an infill plane really weigh more than a similarly sized cast
iron plane?

If you filled a cast iron plane in with wood, you'd have a (heavier)
infill. I imagine if someone were to fill a plane with cast iron you
could still call it an infill, and it'd still be heavy.

er
--
email not valid