Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Joe Smith

Default Greatest markup ever?

On 24 Apr 2006, Mary wrote:

"Madge O'Reene" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary Fisher:
I saw the same sort of thing in a shop in Lincoln some time ago.
Unbelievable!

Mary

Why is it unbelievable?

What do you do for a living? Are the the LOWEST PAID person doing
your job? In your company? In your town? In your country? In the
world? Unbelievable!

You're making assumptions.

Here's a simple idea - if you think a shop is charging too much,
don't buy from them.

I didn't. I SAW it.

You seem to be suggesting that there is never suc a thing as over
priced, or gouging, or unwarranted markup.

A typical retail markup is in the order of 50%. Some items more and
some items less. Even if we allow 100 to 300% markup for fancy items
(ie those which are time limited by fashionable trends) then markups
of thousands of percent are amazing and, dare I say it, almost
"unebelievable".

A true market would reduce such a profit differential but clearly
there is either a lack of consumer knowledge if they're prepared to
pay such ridiculuous prices or very limited consumer choice of
outlets and prices.

Yup, the poster is right. It's unbelievable. Such venality.