Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Skirting Board

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
Tricia wrote:
Hi I want to replace my painted skirting board with a varnished
skirting board. What should I use to stain the wood so that it looks
like it is hardwood as I have a quantity of softwood skirting that I
could use but it looks too light in colour if I just varnish it?
Thanks Tricia

Hi Trica

First of all, you can't stain softwood to look like hardwood. It will look
like softwood stained hardwood colour. The grain patterns are entirely
different. If that's acceptable, don't use a coloured varnish - they look
terrible. Stain the softwood first with wood stain & varnish over.

I think I might prefer a wax finish, but it's down to preference really.

Any filler used to cover screw/nail holes will show. Some wood fillers can
be stained, but they still show.

Best thing here is to use plug cutter and cut out wood plugs to fit in
screw holes
--
Chris French