Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike

Default Putting tile over formica counter tops

"Sam Alexander" -ldw-this wrote:

Hello all,

Me and my wife would like to remodel our kitchen some day, but it's like 5
years off In the mean time, we want to do whatever can (on a budget of
course) to update our kitchen. It has green formica counter tops and
backsplash, and I was wondering if it would be possible to put tile over
this.

In visiting a friend's new home this weekend I noticed her counter and
backsplash were tile, but on the front it had a piece of wood trip covering
the edge of the counter. If I installed tile on the counter and did the
same, it would totally cover the formica.

Anyone done this or seen this done before? I know the counters will need
to be sanded and washed real good for anything to stick, but anything I
need to put down before? Maybe a primer or something? I've worked with
tile before, but never on counters.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas...

Sam

While not as extensive as a kitchen counter top, I've put tile
(actually stone) on a bathroom vanity & back splash that was covered
in formica. Seems to work very well. Used thin set and a sanded grout.
Had to raise the sink, so hold-downs needed to be found for that 1/4
of an inch increase - that was the only issue that was encountered.

Of course a bathroom vanity doesn't get the abuse like a kitchen
counter top.

-Mike