Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default Machining Plastic

Based upon input from this forum, rec.rec.boats.cruising and all of the
pointers that were provided, I decided to go with black UHMW. As
described on some web sites it's the "poor man's teflon" with a very low
coefficient of friction, good UV stability and machines well. On top of
that, a 3"x1' piece of rod UHMW is only $11. I ordered it yesterday
from MSC and it'll be here today.

I've opted to simply machine the UHMW to form the sleave bearing surface
rather than purchase a sleave bearing and mount it in the housing. I'll
let you know how it turns out,

Thanks again for all of the help!

-- Geoff

John wrote in :

Geoffrey W. Schultz wrote:
I have a KISS wind generator wind generator that develops vibration
at certain wind speeds. The problem is that there's a PVC fitting
that goes over a 2" stainless schedule 40 support pipe that is loose
fitting. I want to machine one with a sleeve bearing on a lathe and
make it out of plastic. However, I really don't have any experience
machining plastic, I've been looking at www.mscdirect.com under Raw
Materials/Plastic Material/Rods for 3" material. To keep costs under
control I'm looking at the following:

Nylon
Acetal
UHMW
LDPE
HDPE

Comments on the machining qualities, UV resistance, and overall
strength of these would be greatly appreciated.

If you select to use Nylon you should slit that
bushing lengthwise. Moisture and/or temperature
changes will otherwise change the fit and could
grab the shaft. The slit allows for expansion. HTH