Posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Martin Heffels

Default Can one "overclock" a CRT monitor's video input bandwidth? Need slightly higher refresh rate than my existng CRT allows...

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:00:47 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

Do you mean the Direccion General de Inteligencia, the
Cuban secret police? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DGI
Cuba uses NTSC (which I found surprising, I would have
assumed SECAM as the rest of the Communist Bloc)

Heck no. Before 1959 there was a lot of American interest in Cuba. So NTSC
was introduced before El Presidente took control with his July 26th
Movement.

I guess that depends on how you define "NTSC" and "PAL".
Most people define it as the dimension of the frame in pixels,
and the frame rate (and the interlaced fields). You can be sure
that people who try to mix NTSC and PAL very quickly discover
that they are quite real, whether in analog or in digital form.

Quite real, and quite incompatible :-(

Except for the handful of people on the bleeding edge who have
HDV, etc. camcorders, every other camera represented here is
either NTSC or PAL. Regardless of whether it is analog or digital.
It has been that way since first NTSC (and then PAL) camera
and continues to this day, unabated.

Market protection?

Actually, people who are motivated to do quality video editing
never use computer monitors for qualitative evaluation of TV
pictures. You just cannot display a proper television picture on
a computer monitor. Mainly because of the very great difference
in gamma transfer curve, and also because of differences in
colorimetry. A good television monitor likely costs more than
your whole computer system (or maybe 2x or 3x more).

I think that is only half the truth. Printers have very high-quality
computer-monitors to check their work on. And those are very expensive as
well.

And NTSC, PAL, SECAM, and variants are being marginalized
with the advent of High Definition TV.

If you post that again in ~5 years, you might be right.

That's what they are saying already since ages. Seeing is believing :-)

cheers

-martin-
--
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.