Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

Default Advantages of infill planes?

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:44:45 -0400, alexy wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 08:01:47 -0400, alexy wrote:

If you buy a new kit for one, most are cast
bronze.

Any suggestions for sources. Now that Shepherd is out of business, I
might be looking elsewhere for one at some point.

Bristol Designs used to do them and I think Charles still has some
castings, but I know that he can't source adjusters (Norris style) to
offer any them more.

You can always make your own. It's not hard to get bronze castings made
from a pattern, and it's not even a hard pattern to make. I'm tempted to
cast my own (I've been doing a lot of bronze and silver casting lately),
but I've no real need or time for one. I've got castings for an iron
smoother (A5 style) and 1" shoulder plane that have been sitting here
for the last 2 years already!

For narrow shoulder planes, corian makes a nice infill (but a poor
wedge, as it's inelastic)

How is its mass compared to a heavy wood?

Corian is about 1.6 specific gravity, AFAIR. Comparable to dense-ish
wood. Neither really matters anyway, a cast sole easily outweighs them.