Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August

Default Machine Tools on ebay VS Craigslist

Well Since this thread hasn't died yet I'll drop my 2 cents in.

I agree with who ever posted that FleaBay is good for small stuff that you
don't have to check out. I buy things like collets there. But I'd neve buy a
machine tool there, too complictaed.....

But I have to say that the San Francisco C/L (ya know the 'original' ) has
some good deals... I got my totaly refurbed BridgePort from there for $2700
and I just bought a Clausing 5914 Lathe that is in VERY good shape for $2000
(Aloris knock off, collet closer,chucks.).. I've seen BP's on FleaBay not
nearly as good as mine go for twice the price, and the same for the 5914...
And for me a short drive to 'The City' or 'Funk Town' beats 600 or 700
bucks shipping from the east coast.

I sold my mill/drill on C/L and I'll sell my 9x20 import lathe there too.

I also get most of my work from the SF-CL, Craig has made me a tidy piece of
change over the years (enough to spend on these tools)... and hey when you
get bored you can always read RR or CE... ;-)

Dave

wrote in message
oups.com...
Maybe it's just me, but when I'm looking at machine tools (lathes &
mills specifically) on ebay & Craigslist, in general I'm seeing better
condition items and better prices on Craigslist.

My theory is that since Craigslist is a local listing service, and the
buyer is going to check it out in person, there is less opportunity for
the seller to mis-represent their goods.

Ebay listings on the other hand give the seller an opportunity to ship
goods that are often pieces of crap. I've been burned enough on ebay
to know what types of items to bid on and what to pass on.

Ed