Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

Default Machine Tools on ebay VS Craigslist

On 25 Apr 2006 07:26:21 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

"You have to take time to keep trolling. "

Time has value....and the amount of time one takes to find that bargain
can make that item a mighty expensive "bargain".

I always laugh when I hear someone tell me about a great find at a
rummage/garage sale. When I ask them how many countless hours and miles
they have spent pawing through junk to find that one bargain, their
answer indicates that they could have worked at McDonalds, bought the
item new and been further ahead. Seeing this occur time and time again,
I limit my searches in Ebay and Craigslist to only odd and unusual
items that are difficult to impossible to find.

And you get SFA for entertainment value. The best bargains I ever got
were items I never expected to find while Saturday morning saleing,
especially at up to 99% off the new price. Granted, I use asbestos
gloves sometimes when handling some of my better finds.
Fluke 77 for $3.00
Homelite "weed whacker" with most of the original line on it - $2.00
because it was "leaking oil"
new #2MT live centre - $2.00

"Both Ebay and Craigslist are full of sellers who either have no idea
what stuff is worth or are fishing for suckers. "

I think the "fishing for suckers" is the majority that exists on Ebay
today because of fees. On Craigslist, because of the low cost and
relative newness I think you have a combination of both now but I can
see the "fishing for suckers" crowd quickly becoming the majority.

TMT

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada