Posted to alt.home.repair
Sam Alexander

Default Putting tile over formica counter tops

To: RayV
Putting tile over formica counter tops
By: RayV to alt.home.repair on Tue Apr 25 2006 01:59 pm

From Newsgroup: alt.home.repair

Go to the local home center and get a replacement formica top for less
than you can buy the tile. I doubt anything would reliably stick to
the formica and even if it did you are at minimum going to have to redo
the drain in the sink for the increased height and possibly the supply
lines depending on the way the faucet was installed.

A new formica top can be replaced in a day. A tile job as you
described is *at least* two days of work, probably a lot more.

Hi - does the new formica go over the old, or how do I remove the old
formica from the counter? The house is 23 years old, so it's been there
for a while I wouldn't be opposed to replacing the formica counters
with something of another color or style, but I do want to tile the
backsplash. I'm just worried that if i try to remove the formica from the
backsplash that it'll tear the drywall behind it.

Thanks for the great suggestion though, I hadn't thought of that

SAm

---
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)com
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex01
"Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." -- Cliff Stoll

--- Synchronet 3.13b-Linux NewsLink 1.84
--[SideBand BBS - telnet://sidebandbbs.com]--