Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Putting tile over formica counter tops

You'll get an OK (good for 5 years) job if you use ceramic tile and mastic
then grout normally. Rough up the formica with a belt sander and a rough
grit. With the wood band you describe that would work out nicely, if you
tried to set bullnose or shaped tiles for the edges, the mastic and formica
won't perform as well as the flat surface. Can use the same method on
drywall for the backsplash.

"Sam Alexander" -ldw-this wrote in
message . ..
Hello all,

Me and my wife would like to remodel our kitchen some day, but it's like 5
years off In the mean time, we want to do whatever can (on a budget of
course) to update our kitchen. It has green formica counter tops and
backsplash, and I was wondering if it would be possible to put tile over
this.

In visiting a friend's new home this weekend I noticed her counter and
backsplash were tile, but on the front it had a piece of wood trip
covering
the edge of the counter. If I installed tile on the counter and did the
same, it would totally cover the formica.

Anyone done this or seen this done before? I know the counters will need
to be sanded and washed real good for anything to stick, but anything I
need to put down before? Maybe a primer or something? I've worked with
tile before, but never on counters.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas...

Sam

---
Sam Alexander - sam.alexander(at)sidebandbbs(dot)com
icq: 5386757 [] AIM/Y!: samalex1701 [] Skype: samalex01
"Data is not information, Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not
understanding, Understanding is not wisdom." -- Cliff Stoll

--- Synchronet 3.13b-Linux NewsLink 1.84
--[SideBand BBS - telnet://sidebandbbs.com]--