Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

Default Putting tile over formica counter tops

"Sam Alexander" -ldw-this wrote in
message . ..
Thanks for any suggestions or ideas...

I used the Hardi backer type board over the top of the old countertop in a
previous house... Put a lot of construction adhesive on it (Liquid Nails
type) and then used A LOT of screws to attach it... From there, standard
thinset... I believe that I used a latex additive in the grout though... I
used this for one countertop... When I got to the other one, I didn't like
the condition of the existing substrate once I started looking at it
closely... This type of thing is particle board and it is rather stupid to
have a sink in a particle board countertop, in my opinion... So, I ripped
the old cabinets out, keeping the face frame and doors and built a new
cabinet structure out of plywood and 2x4s... I used 3/4" plywood for the
countertop and then put the Hardi backer type board over the top of it, just
like with the other countertop... Worked great, very sturdy... No give
whatsoever if you climbed on top to reach a light that needed changing...
Yeah, it takes a bit more effort to do it right, but at least you don't have
to do it again...