Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.electronics.components,uk.d-i-y
Zak

Default Greatest markup ever?

On 25 Apr 2006, The3rd Earl Of wrote:

Andy wrote:
I was in my local newsagent in London and saw he had a card of
button cells behind the till which he was selling at œ2.99 each.

I recognised the card of cells as one which I can get from my
local pound shop for œ1. It contains about 16 cells.

Considering that the pound shop makes a profit then it will
already have raised the price from something like 50p.

I can't say exactly what the mark up is here for the newsagent as
he may get left with oddment batteries that he can't sell but he
makes a markup of about œ2.50 on 50p (500%) if he sold just one
battery!

His total markup is in the thousands of percent.

Has anyone seen a bigger markup than that?

I think you'll find his profits come from kids sweets ie something
that sells for 2p and he sells for 3p so say you have 250 MoJo's in
a box thats 5GBP and 2.50GBP profit
add that to all the other sweets and total it up at the end of the
weeks
that some profit.

I know this because I used to own 2 mobile shops. :-)

Off topic: When did Opal Fruits become called Star-somethings?