Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
I.F.

Default Is my LT44 transformer suitable for audio (de)coupling?

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)"
Andy

An old audio transformer I have come across is marked as "LT44" and I
that that LT44 is sometimes used to indicate a 1:1 (or 600-ohm:600-ohm)
transformer.

Not that I've heard of, but I'm from the UK.

** Maplin sell them ......

However when I measure the resistence of the tarnsformer I get 650-ohms
on the primary and 80-ohmns on the secondary which has a tap at 40-ohms.

That doesn't feel right.

DC measurements can give a guide to the turns ratio but not the
impedance.

** That is quite wrong.

With small to medium audio transformers, the rated impedance of a winding
= 10 to 20 times the DC resistance.

This fact derives directly from the *efficiency* of such transformers
being around 80% to 90 %.

The LT44 complies.

Maplin sell them (and the LT700 PP O/P transformer that goes with it), but I
think the actual manufacturer might possibly be Eagle Electronics.