Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default Minwax Tung Oil Finish

Unless I am mistaken you misunderstood his point. He is saying that he
has
never seen a specific example of a 'tung oil' that did not contain 'tung

Perhaps you are correct.

I've read it three times and I'm still not sure. I though he was trying to
say that "all tung oils are really some type of blend"

That said, what I took away from the Flexner text, was that just because the
can says "tung oil" does not mean that that it has a meaningful amount of
tung oil. In a practical sense, there are products out there with tung oil
in their name that, for all intents and purposes, have no tung oil at all.

Unless it says "pure tung oil", the label tells you very little about what's
in the can. I would be nice if finishe shad FDA-style labeling, (e.g., HI-C
really does have 10% real fruit juice, which, IMO is pretty insignificant).

Cheers,

Steve