Posted to rec.woodworking
eganders

Default tung oil: flakes & dull with glossy areas

After using a "tung oil finish" varnish/oil with quite a bit of
success. I thought I would use pure tung oil to finish a project. I
know I must be impatient, but I would like some feedback. When I put
on the first and second...or even the 3rd coat of 20 to 50% diluted (in
mineral spirits) oil, and wipe it down after 15 minutes to 1/2 hr. The
finish looks satiny (looks good!!). After waiting 12 to 24 hrs, it is
dull and areas look like they have soaked into the wood leaving it
lifeless. It is blotchy. I put on several more coats 24 hrs apart and
I don't see any real improvement. If I try to apply it and let it set,
I still get the same effect and I seem to get "scales" that flake off.

If I put just a very small amount on the surface, I expected to see a
surface that had a slight satin look--at least after 2 or 3 coats. My
description is that the wood looks dull, lifeless unless I put on quite
a bit and let it sit, wiping it after about 1/2 hr.

Suggestions?