Posted to uk.d-i-y
ian

Default Comsumer unit RCD trips on non-RCD protected circuit activity

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:54:26 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

You've probably got an earth-neutral short somewhere or such like. These can
cause weird trips even of different circuits. You should do a full periodic
inspection, which should hopefully find which circuit is at fault, which
could be completely different from what you are expecting.

Ok; weird is good, 'cos that's what I've got

To do the tests you need a proper continuity insulation tester. A 6 quid
multimeter from Maplins will NOT suffice.

A quick Google shows a bewildering variety (and cost !) range - do you have
any makes and models that would be typical of the sort of device I should be
looking at ? I'm not after a recommendation, but something that can show me
which ones are suitable for domestic testing as I'm sure it's possible to get
distracted by non-essential (for this task) features ?

Thanks in advance,
--
Ian Spray