Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Machining Plastic

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
Best plastic for a bushing would be Nylon or Delrin.

I'm not convinced either of them would be the best plastic, but each of them
are available as bushing material and would be a good choice, assuming
either variety that was chosen was of that nature. Nylon so found is black
in color as I recall, and has graphite included in its makeup for lubricity.
Delrin is available with Teflon included (Delrin AF), which makes it a
superior bearing over typical acetyl, but I have no clue about either's
ability to resist UV, which, for sure, is death on white acetyl plastic,
albeit a slow one in some cases. Delrin AF is a light milk chocolate color
and is a pleasure to machine. Likewise, the black nylon machines better
than the ivory colored stuff. Apparently the graphite helps lessen the
stringiness for which nylon is so well known. If the piece in question
can be covered by anything that would shield it from UV, I'm of the opinion
that material choice would not be so critical.

Harold