Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default Gear rack sources for small quantities?

In article .com,
says...
Ned,

Timing belts would also be my choice for this application. They are
remakably strong....steel cable reinforced...and quite accurate. They
can be obtained in a variety of widths. Properly pre-tensioned they
work well with good life expectancy. Industrial application is in the
X,Y,Z axes drives for rectilinear robots and pick & place automated
devices.

Wolfgang

Here's a system I designed and built about a year ago. The linear slide
and timing belt drive, minus motor and controls, came as a preassembled
unit from Item.

http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmons/news/Washer01.jpg

Ned