Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

Default How does an electric meter work?

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:51:21 -0500, unknown
wrote:

On 24 Apr 2006 06:59:12 -0700, "RayV" wrote:

I did not check this out on snopes

Try doing so. That claim doesn't make sense.

but have heard that the eletric
meters on our houses always read the higher of the two lines coming in
to determine the amount of juice used. The rumor goes on that you
should *balance* your panel so that the same number of constant users
are on either side of your panel. An example might be that your fridge
should be on one side and your furnace on the other, or electric range
on one side and electric dryer on the other.

240V appliances are always on both sides. They have 2 hot wires, 1
connected to each side.

Is there any truth to this or is it one of those tall tales based on
some obscure Tesla theory?

Would this gadget really save me money on my electric bill?

http://www.renaissance-pacific.net/E...oduct_Info.pdf

Sounds like BS.

Not only that, there is no explanation as to how this thing works that
conforms to the known laws of physics.

Any little piece of material that you wrap around your service
entrance conductors is going to have little if any effect on
"equalizing" the load between the hot wires. It is the current
flowing that creates the magnetic field.

Beachcomber